Meet Kristin Marr!
Kristin is a mom of 2 and the creator of the one of my favorite blogs, Live Simply. She is is an incredible resource for those wanting to start eating real, whole foods. Her journey with food led her from being a Velveeta-loving newlywed to witnessing the power real food had on her family’s health, especially her son’s. She talks all about her food and health transformation on the episode, but you can also read about it on her blog.
In this episode, I chat with Kristin all about her best advice for prepping and planning school lunches!
Kristin has two school-aged children, which means she packs two school lunches each morning! She is here to give us tips and ideas on making the prepping and planning of school lunches. She gives us menu plan ideas, routines to get into, and ways to involve our kids in the lunch time packing. Kristin also shares ways to make memories with our kids in the kitchen, including one of her favorite memories, making hot chocolate with her kids- something they look forward to every season.
Kristin believes in simplicity, especially when it comes to food. Eat simple, live simple, plan simple. Planning lunches shouldn’t be hard, yet it’s something so many moms out there stress over. We want to pack a nutritious lunch, but we also want them to eat, so we fall into a sandwich rut. That’s 100% me! Almond butter and honey all day everyday for my little. After talking with Kristin, I have a new plan and different menu ideas to tackle in the upcoming lunch prep weeks! I’m excited to add variety for the lunchbox and I know you will too!
Kristin’s journey to discovering real food
- advice for moms to prep lunches that are healthy, real food based but that the kid’s will eat
- how to plan…break lunch into categories (main, veggie, fruit, crunch, etc.)
- making a menu plan (it’s easier than it sounds!): 2 choices that get rotated through out the week
- getting the kids involved with category choices
- pro-tip: pack a new food choice in the lunchbox on the weekend for practice and exposure to a new lunch option!
Lunchboxes Kristin uses (affiliate links):
OmieBox Bento Lunch Box (with built in thermos)
Kristin also mentioned these Curious Chef kid’s knives, which I bought for Evie a couple years ago, and we use ALL the time with both kids!
How to get kids involved in the prep:
- prep ahead of time and have them fill the lunch box compartments
- they can cut easy to slice fruits like strawberries and place them in their lunchbox
- try to add to your after dinner routine: pick one thing to prep for lunch tonight
- tell them the menu plan ahead of time…ask for input and get them involved in the shopping
Lunch Menu Ideas:
Check out some of my favorite blog posts on school lunch prep from Kristin!
- How to Simplify School Lunch with a Rotational Lunch Menu
- 4 Hacks That Simplify School Breakfast and Lunch
- 5 Tips For Packing Healthy Lunches (Kids Won’t Throw Away)
Recipes talked about on the show:
Go connect with Kristin and say hi!
My Halloween Celebration Guide! This guide is FULL of easy but memorable ideas to make this Halloween extra special this year. Decor, treat ideas, menu plans, activities, and more are all waiting for you! The guide also comes with 3 free printables for you to use as decor or at a fun celebration! Use the code PODCAST at checkout for 20% off!
Grab your guides here!
Please SUBSCRIBE to the show, SHARE with your friends, and leave a REVIEW! This helps get the show in front of even more mamas, and allows me to get awesome guests who are going to blow your mind!
Head on over to my free Facebook group, Memories in Moments Insiders! There you’ll find additional resources to support each episode, more information on guests and how you can connect with them, visual and video tutorials, and best of all, connection as we navigate parenting and making memories together!
Follow Along On Instagram!